VIN Inspections Niobrara County, Wyoming

Niobrara County Sheriff's Office.


Motorcyclists are gearing up for long, dangerous rides, and we want everyone to arrive alive. Safe2Sturgis learn more here.

VIN Inspection

Learn more about Wyoming vehicle identification number inspection requirements before you can register a vehicle in Wyoming.

Sheriff, Rick Zerbe


Vehicles containing titles from outside the State of Wyoming require a Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) prior to registering the vehicle with a county clerk. The VIN must be verified by any law enforcement officer before registering it. The Sheriff's Office can perform the VIN inspection at our office 24 hours a day or for vehicles that are not able to be operated legally on a street or highway, we can do the inspection where the vehicle is located.

Call (307) 334-2240 to schedule a VIN Inspection.

The Niobrara County Clerk's Office is open from 8:00 a.m to 4 p.m. Monday - Friday and will assess a $10.00 inspection fee for each VIN.


Salvage vehicle means any motor vehicle which has been wrecked, destroyed or damaged to the extent that it is declared a total loss by the insurance company or; in the event, an insurance company is not involved in the settlement of the claim, sustains damage in an amount exceeding 75% of its actual retail cash value.

The owner or insurance company shall apply to the County Clerk's office for a certificate of title branded "Salvage."

This requirement does not apply to vehicles titled in Wyoming with more than 8 years of service or commercial vehicles.

Motor Vehicles that come into Wyoming with an out of state salvage title, must obtain a Wyoming salvage title and apply to the Wyoming Department of Transportation for a Rebuilt Salvage Decal prior to registering the vehicle.

When selling a vehicle with a title that contains a brand, the seller is required to disclose the brand to the buyer on a Branded Title Disclosure Statement.


State assigned vehicle identification numbers are issued to homemade or rebuilt vehicles, which do not have a vehicle identification number and to vehicles which have more than one vehicle identification number.

An owner of a vehicle who replaces any part of the vehicle on which the vehicle identification number appears or who incorporates a part containing the vehicle identification number into another vehicle shall apply to the Department of Transportation for a special vehicle identification number.

A Wyoming VIN can only be issued to Wyoming residents.

A VIN will not be issued to trailers with an unladen weight of fewer than 1000 lbs. unless it is a camper trailer.

The Department shall determine that the applicant for the number is the lawful owner of the vehicle. The vehicle may require a vehicle identification number inspection to accompany the application. A Wyoming Law Enforcement Officer must perform the inspection.

CodeRED sign up link